The flight from LAX to Indy is about 4 hours. I took a red eye and even with the use of Tylenol PM I managed only about an hour of sleep. I did get to see some beautiful/terrifying lightning below me when we were going over Kansas.
I landed at 7 a.m. and my mom was waiting for me with her new husband. He is always a little awkward around me, but I know she loves him so I just deal with it. I was incredibly tense about going home and the exhaustion wasn't helping. We stopped for breakfast and then began the two hour drive home. I tried to sleep, but, of course, my mom talked most of the time.
I took a nap as soon as we got to my mom's house. It was just like always, except even more cluttered. I do not understand why my mom (and grandmother and great-grandmother) think they have to keep everything. If you know me well you know that I don't have a hard time giving things up when I'm done with them, almost to a fault. I do this because of my family's hoarding habit.
As soon as I woke up my mom took me over to my grandmother's for the Memorial Day bbq. My whole extended family was over there. I'm the second oldest out of all of my cousins, the oldest of the girls. They all kind of look up to me, so everyone was trying to get me to do things with them. I managed to play tennis with my youngest cousin, which was interesting. She's eight, but apparently she looks just like me. Everyone was taking pictures left and right. It drove me crazy.
It seemed that almost everyone was doing alright. It was weird being at my grandmother's after my grandfather died. I went to his grave for the first time and that was sad. I felt very bad for not coming to his funeral last year. But I really think my family members would rather me spend time with them alive and not spend my life savings trying to go to their funeral.
Oh and we all got to do smores. This was always one of my favorite things to do when I was little. We just put the marshmallows over the grill. SOOOOOO GOOD! The first day was nice and a lot less pressure than I expected, thank god.
Monday, June 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment