Saturday, January 5, 2008

rain

So Christmas break in California doesn't mean stomping snow off my boots or below zero with windchill. Instead it means rain and a jacket. And rain here is rarely worse than a sprinkle, so I can't complain. Currently southern Californians are freaking out because there is supposed to be a three day downpour. So far I've seen lots of clouds, but only some showers last night. No thunder. No lightening. Boorrriinnggg.

My break has been spent working, reading, sleeping, and movie watching. For those who don't know I'm trying to read all of the Harry Potters over break for no real reason except to say I did it. So far I'm almost done with the fourth, but I've started lagging because this one is long and I'm starting to understand why they are not all released at once (well besides the fact that it takes years to finish even one book, let alone seven). Considering the genre, these books are pretty good. I'm not one of those 'Trekkies' and I never read the Lord Of The Rings trilogy, so going into this I wasn't so sure. But now halfway through I approve. I understand why so many parents read these things to their kids. I would hope these books help more kids get into reading. I was an avid reader growing up, but around the age of 13 I was embarassed of this and tried to pretend I didn't like reading. I actually read very little (besides homework) until I was about 20. Probably not a wise choice.

High school is a weird age and I just saw another movie that covers teenage angst nonsense. The movie is called Juno and I was actually excited to see it. Unfortunately I was disappointed. Not enough Michael Cera or Jason Bateman. And although they tried to make it liberal and blah blah blah I felt that it was basically saying if the teenager didn't have the kid she was a bad person (Nation writer Katha Pollitt elaborates on this more at http://www.thenation.com/doc/20080121/pollitt). Lame. Oh but Kimya Dawson helped on the soundtrack and it was pretty good. Overall not a terrible movie, but a disappointment for sure.

Hmm..well I'm gonna go wait for the rain to happen and watch another one of the Coen Brothers films. I got a box set for Christmas. Oh and PS No Country For Old Men was pretty cool. Pretty pretty pretty cool.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

micheal cera AND jason bateman are a little too one dimensional for my taste. but what do i know, im just an accomplished heavily decorated musician who likes to watch basketball.