Monday, January 26, 2009

fair and balanced...

If you can find it, check out the new issue of The Rise And The Fall zine. I contributed a little political essay and my boyfriend did the political cartoon with it. A cute little collaboration, if you ask me. Over the weekend I was told the essay is good, but "very opinionated." This was supposed to be a critique. Here is my response:

Have an opinion. It is what makes everyone so different. If you go about your day feeling iffy on everything, your day is boring. You don't need a strong opinion on everything, but if you're going to put in your two cents about anything you should say more than, "Eh, it's alright." You should have no apologies for your own thoughts and you should try to respect others as well.

Don't be fooled by unbiased reporting. I can not think of the last time I've read a completely unbiased report, which is why I get my news from many different sources. Yes, I prefer MSNBC to Fox News or The New York Times to The Wall Street Journal, but I read and listen to as much as I have time for. Even if the piece is not an opinion piece, a reporter will find the resources they want, but very few will find the resources they don't want. Those they don't want are probably the most important part of the story. A good reporter will have it all, but with a limited time to report it's hard to get everything.

So, when you read an opinion piece, there should be a little balance, but if it was even, then it wouldn't be an opinion piece. The straight news stories are what really get you. Most people read one story and take that as the truth. It's up to you to find out more, so that you can form your own opinion.

My essay may not be perfect, but I am proud of the opinions expressed in it. I'd rather be strongly opinionated than lacking an opinion at all.

THE RISE AND FALL MYSPACE

No comments: